1. One who, or that which, supports; as, oxygen is a supporter of life. The sockets and supporters of flowers are figured. (bacon) The saints have a . . . Supporter in all their miseries. (south)
2. Especially, an adherent; one who sustains, advocates, and defends; as, the supporter of a party, faction, or candidate.
3. A knee placed under the cathead.
4. A figure, sometimes of a man, but commonly of some animal, placed on either side of an escutcheon, and exterior to it. Usually, both supporters of an escutcheon are similar figures.
5. (Science: medicine) A broad band or truss for supporting the abdomen or some other part or organ.