From Biology-Online Dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search


noun, plural: sulci

(biology) A furrow or groove


The term is widely used in medicine, zoology, and anatomy. The groove between the convolutions on a mammalian cerebrum is called sulcus. Another structure referred to as sulcus is the longitudinal groove in Dinoflagellates where flagellum lies. The ventral siphonoglyph in anthozoa is also called sulcus.

Related term(s):