1. To produce or deposit (eggs), as fishes or frogs do.
2. To bring forth; to generate; used in contempt. One edition [of books] spawneth another. (Fuller)
Origin: OE. Spanen, OF. Espandre, properly, to shed, spread, L. Expandere to spread out. See Expand.
1. To deposit eggs, as fish or frogs do.
2. To issue, as offspring; used contemptuously.
1. The ova, or eggs, of fishes, oysters, and other aquatic animals.
2. Any product or offspring; used contemptuously.
3. (Science: botany) The buds or branches produced from underground stems.
4. (Science: botany) The white fibrous matter forming the matrix from which fungi.
(Science: zoology) Spawn eater, a small American cyprinoid fish (Notropis Hudsonius) allied to the dace.