1. One who, or that which, snaps; as, a snapper up of trifles; the snapper of a whip.
2. (Science: zoology) Any one of several species of large sparoid food fishes of the genus Lutjanus, abundant on the southern coasts of the united states and on both coasts of tropical America.
The red snapper (Lutjanus aya, or Blackfordi) and the gray, or mangrove, snapper (L. Griseus) are large and abundant species. The name is loosely applied to various other fishes, as the bluefish, the rosefish, the red grouper, etc. See Rosefish.
3. (Science: zoology) A snapping turtle; as, the alligator snapper.
4. (Science: zoology) The green woodpecker, or yaffle.
5. (Science: zoology) A snap beetle.