1. The act of engaging, pledging, enlisting, occupying, or entering into contest.
2. The state of being engaged, pledged or occupied; specif, a pledge to take some one as husband or wife.
3. That which engages; engrossing occupation; employment of the attention; obligation by pledge, promise, or contract; an enterprise embarked in; as, his engagements prevented his acceptance of any office. Religion, which is the chief engagement of our league. (Milton)
4. An action; a fight; a battle. In hot engagement with the moors. (Dryden)
5. (Science: machinery) The state of being in gear; as, one part of a clutch is brought into engagement with the other part.
Synonym: vocation, business, employment, occupation, promise, stipulation, betrothal, word, battle, combat, fight, contest, conflict. See battle.
Origin: cf. F. Engagement.