Stuck on a problem? Get great tutoring at an affordable price with Chegg. Click here to join and get your 1st 30 minutes Free!


From Biology-Online Dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search


1. A large stone, worn smooth or rounded by the action of water; a large pebble.

2. (Science: geology) a mass of any rock, whether rounded or not, that has been transported by natural agencies from its native bed. See drift. Bowlder clay, the unstratified clay deposit of the glacial or drift epoch, often containing large numbers of bowlders. Bowlder wall, a wall constructed of large stones or bowlders.

Origin: cf. Sw. Bullra to roar, rattle, dan. Buldre, dial. Sw. Bullersteen larger kind of pebbles; perh. Akin to E. Bellow.