1. One who, or that which, bears, sustains, or carries. Bearers of burdens. . The bearer of unhappy news.
2. Specifically: One who assists in carrying a body to the grave; a pallbearer.
3. A palanquin carrier; also, a house servant.
4. A tree or plant yielding fruit; as, a good bearer.
5. One who holds a check, note, draft, or other order for the payment of money; as, pay to bearer.
6. A strip of reglet or other furniture to bear off the impression from a blank page; also, a type or type-high piece of metal interspersed in blank parts to support the plate when it is shaved.