1. The act or process of augmenting, or making larger, by addition, expansion, or dilation; increase.
2. The state of being augmented; enlargement.
3. The thing added by way of enlargement.
4. A additional charge to a coat of arms, given as a mark of honor.
5. (Science: medicine) The stage of a disease in which the symptoms go on increasing.
6. In counterpoint and fugue, a repetition of the subject in tones of twice the original length. Augmentation court, a court erected by stat. 27 hen. VIII, to augment to revenues of the crown by the suppression of monasteries. It was long ago dissolved.
Synonym: increase, enlargement, growth, extension, accession, addition.
Origin: LL. Augmentatio: cf. F. Augmentation.