Cell Manipulation Question

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

othergordon11
Garter
Garter

Cell Manipulation Question

Post by othergordon11 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi, I am a recent physics graduate and have become very interested in the world of cell biology, mostly the manipulation of cells. I have very little knowledge of biological techniques but I was wondering if anyone could tell me:

What are the best methods for manipulating single cells or small groups of cells? Pipettes/capillaries/needles? I am not thinking of complex methods like optical tweezers, but of simple mechanical/manual methods and what tools might be commonly used.

Thanks.

Vagabond
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vagabond » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 pm

there are a lot of ways to minipulate cells perhaps you could narrow your quiestion down a little. Like do you want to enrich a population, transfect a population, purify cells or such. Drug selection can elimintate unwanted cells, Flow cytemetry and isolate and count specific cells. As for single cells one could use patch-clamp methods (though this is usually used for measureing ion channels)
---------------------------------------

You know dog spelled backwards is god.
Coincidence? I think not. . .

othergordon11
Garter
Garter

Post by othergordon11 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:35 pm

I guess I am curious if there is ever any physical hands on cell manipulation, like poking, cutting, or moving individual cells or small groups under a microscope. Are there tiny tools for these type of actions?

From what I have dug up on patch clamping it seems that they are just pipettes drawn to small tips ~(1 micrometer) and they stick this tiny end into the cells and force reactions from them? Is this right?

I apologize for being a bit of a layman, when it comes to this stuff. Thanks alot though

daniel.kurz
Coral
Coral

Post by daniel.kurz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:14 am

Absolutely. There are micro instruments. Things like glass needles so small that you have to be under and microscope. They are immensely sharp and go through the membrane of the cell like nothing. They also go through hands like nothing. I had an accident with one once. :)

Vagabond
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vagabond » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 am

yes basically that is correct. As far as my experience goes I have used flow cytometry (cell sorting) to isolate specific cells from an individual animal I have also used a company called Mylteni biotech to isolate and purify specific T-cells. As far as cell culture goes one can harvest specific cells using drugs and other types of selections. There are techniques of microdissecting cells from tissue sections which one can use a verity of methods to analyze.
---------------------------------------

You know dog spelled backwards is god.
Coincidence? I think not. . .