Genotype or type of allele for a character

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ali Asim
Garter
Garter

Genotype or type of allele for a character

Post by Ali Asim » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:25 pm

When we determine the types of Alleles (Genotype for a character) present in an indivisual for example the The Types of Alleles fo TALLNESS may be TT or Tt . we determine the type of allele by TEST CROSS. but in Test Cross we use the Parent's genotype. but how can we determine the genotype for a character e.g. height in an indivisual althoug we do not know the genotype in parents ??? parents also genotype is not available . then if we determine the genotype of parents then their parents and their genotype is un express and then their parents?? so this problem can not be solved[/code]

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:28 pm

in a testcross you do not use one of a parents. You use a recessive homozygous individual. If you cross it with one of the parents it is called a backcross..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Ali Asim
Garter
Garter

Post by Ali Asim » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:39 pm

Thanks Mr Mistery,

but i want to know that if a person is tall ,how can we determine its genotype. ???
I shall be thankful if anyone answer me......Please help me if any one can....

Ali Asim
Garter
Garter

Post by Ali Asim » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:40 pm

i want to know that if a person is tall ,how can we determine its genotype i.e. TT or Tt
I shall be thankful if anyone answer me......Please help me if any one can....

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:39 pm

you can't, unless you have access to a lab, in which case you can do a southern blot...

PS: there is no TT and Tt with tallness, it is poligenic and environmentaly influenced.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter