macromolecules

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

twoods16
Garter
Garter

macromolecules

Post by twoods16 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:46 am

how can the properties of individual subunits be used to predict the properties of biological macromolecules (protein, carbs, nucleic acis and lipids)

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:57 am

By calculating the interaction of intermolecular forces exhibited by each subunit and it's surroundings and finding the conformation that is most likely.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:09 am

there are some computer programs that do this for you i think.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

radu
Garter
Garter

Post by radu » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am

and you can even participate at that: search for Rosetta _at_ home (can't give you a link because i must have at least 5 posts)

Vagabond
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vagabond » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:23 pm

The properties of individual subunits of a macromolecule can help predict function basically by comparing them to other subunits of other macromolecules with know function. For example, take a protein, a phosphates, which has a subunit which de phosphorylates (removes a phosphate) from a particular protein. Now if you discover another protein that has a subunit that looks similar to that of the de phosphorylation subunit of our know phosphatase enzyme then you will know that your new protein most-likely will have a similar function. Same goes for other macro molecule functions.

Hope that helps and that I typed that clearly if not just ask another question and I will try and be clearer.
---------------------------------------

You know dog spelled backwards is god.
Coincidence? I think not. . .