cord blood banking

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jshore
Garter
Garter

cord blood banking

Post by jshore » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:39 am

I don't know if this is the right category for this question, but if its not please just move this thread to its right place.

Anyhow, I am not really familiar with the stuff I am going to ask about. I am not into medicine or science. I've read about this on some site and I am curious about it. Can someone explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons of this new research called cord blood banking. And how is it related to stem cell research.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

RowaH
Garter
Garter

Post by RowaH » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:16 pm

Hey, I'm interested in this subject as well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:25 pm

There are some fetal stem cells in the umbilical cord. Supposedly, stored cords could be used to treat some diseases that the infant might get later in life.

The best example would be a blood disease that ordinarily require a marrow transplant - a transplant of cord tissue into the marrow might work to regenerate it, and it would be the patient's own cells, so they would be completely compatible.

The applications for stored cord might turn out to be very limited, though.

shoelessjoe
Garter
Garter

Re: cord blood banking

Post by shoelessjoe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 am

I know I'm replying a little late to this thread, but I was doing some research lately and came upon this site, Cord Blood FAQ. Hopefully it will be helpful for you. Cord blood is a big decision, I'm still doing research (a few more months) but I think I will end up doing it. It's a one-time thing that maybe I won't need, but better to be safe than sorry I think :? Take away the technical details and it's basically just insurance