RNAi uses

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

d1j2m3
Garter
Garter

RNAi uses

Post by d1j2m3 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Im a student currently at secondary school, and im doing a project on RNAi, and was suggesting using the technique to switch off the gene that produces ghrelin as anti-obesity drug, as just as (original) discussion of the idea, is this a reasoable suggestion?

Also I was looking for vectors that could be used in the above, and wondering how effective would a viral vector be, the wikipedia article suggests that it can lead to the silencing of other genes. I personally dont trust wikipedia, so wondering if anyone out there had any idea about how specific such viruses are (and any examples of good viral vectors would be also helpful).

Thanks in advance

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:14 pm

you always need to be cautiopus no other sequences with high sequence homology are also inhibited by the RNAi molecule. That's why you always test multiple RNAi-molecules on there specificity.

But your idea about knocking down the ghrelin gene is not wrong, but you need to take into acount how you're going to delvier your RNAi molecule selectively and intact in to the right tissue.

d1j2m3
Garter
Garter

Post by d1j2m3 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:06 am

I was thinking of delivering shRNA via. a virus, but my main concern is to whether it is specific enough. And there is getting it to infect only the fundus of the stomach (where ghrelin is produced). Can you just modify it in some way, e.g. use genes from a virus that infects the stomach?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:32 am

you can do a homolgy BLAST ;)

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:25 am

mkr_sairam21
Garter
Garter

Post by mkr_sairam21 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:09 am

Hi..
I'm doing a project on the effect of RNAi in gene silencing in Drosophila.

wher i'll get more info?