decontamination of ethidium bromide

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hara
Garter
Garter

decontamination of ethidium bromide

Post by hara » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:10 pm

is there an easy way that doesnt cost a lot to decontaminate an area around the electrophoresis tanks and the kodak imager from ethidium bromide? is it correct to do it someone with bleach? i need a solution that i can spread it to a large area and leave it for some hour and inactivate the etbr...thanks...i have found a lot of ways on net but not someone practical

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:52 pm

The short answer is No. And certainly not bleach that potentialize effect of EtBr when on skin. I would simply suggest, plenty of water to dilute EtBr to non significant level. Maybe some soap to be sure to scrub as much contaminated dust and dried buffer as possible.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Atique
Garter
Garter

Post by Atique » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46 pm

You are right! Even i find the same problem. Isnt there an alternative to etbr??

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Sybr green and sybr gold are supposed to be less toxic and more sensitive (ie you need less) but also more expensive. And the safety issue is not copletely proven (they are still intercalating in DNA...).

On the other hand it does not seem that EtBr be that dangerous in liquid form (I am not talking about environmental release here!). And I have seen enough old school molecular microbiologist manipulating with bare hands for years without problems that I am not paranoid abou it. I would still wear personal protective equipment though, and try not to spill around, and rinse with plenty of water. But I am not going to fear for death if a drop fall on my skin. Just rinse...
Patrick

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:54 pm

When i was training for IBO they taught us that that stuff was mutation and cancer inducing. The way they said it made it clear that we should basically write our will if we happen to spill some on our skin. Romanian profs...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:09 pm

Better be too careful than too sloppy. Besides it prevent any troubles. I would not complain about that.
Patrick

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Yeah, you're probably right on that one...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter