Im thinking of being a parasiteologist

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TheParasite

Im thinking of being a parasiteologist

Post by TheParasite » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:53 pm

Ive been thinking it over but im really intrested in becoming a parasitologist it looks like a neat job but im sure wether or not it will pay well? if there are any parasiteologist around here tell me about your work?

sorry for my bad spelling!!

TheParasite

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:34 pm

There are not a lot of professional parasitologists in the U.S. I'm trained as one, but I'm an educator. My graduate lab was the local parasite resource for Memphis, a pretty big city, and we didn't get many cases - basically, there's not enough of a market to support "parasitologist" as a job.

Parasite specialty is generally included in "tropical medicine;" - so few conditions in the U.S. are from parasites that it's largely ignored as a medical specialty to itself. That may be less true in veterinary medicine, but I don't think there are a lot of jobs there, either.

If you wanted to travel, you could probably make a job of it, but it would be largely to the 3rd World countries where parasites are still a major problem.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:04 am

Your future depends on how hard you try ;)