ecotypes

Discussion of the distribution and abundance of living organisms and how these properties are affected by interactions between the organisms and their environment

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

js_daquilanea
Garter
Garter

ecotypes

Post by js_daquilanea » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:30 am

how do different ecotypes of same species have different yet overlapping ecological niches?

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:37 am

What's an ecotype?
What's a niche?

figure those 2 out and you'll be on the road to victory.

Think of the mastercard symbol. Say both of those circles are the same species, but they have different ecotypes, therefore the circles have to be in different locations because of their differing niches, but they still overlap.

js_daquilanea
Garter
Garter

Post by js_daquilanea » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:19 pm

yup!thanks...i think ive known whats an ecotype and a niche....but since they are supposedly on differsnt geographical areas or habitat having different roles then how could their niche overlap?i have it on my mind but pls help me figure out specific examples?ive lerned about overlapping territories for tucuxi dolphins and boto river dolphins in the amazon but how do they overlap their roles?do they compete?or cooperate?thanks again.....

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:09 pm

niches partially overlap. There are no two populations with the same nieche. Look up the concept of multidimensional nieche. And Conel's experiment with the crustacians..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

js_daquilanea
Garter
Garter

Post by js_daquilanea » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:14 am

where do i search for conel's experiment?thanks!
If energy cannot be created nor destroyed then HE could only be the creator and the destroyer, The alpha and omega, the brahma and shiva. If HE neither create nor destroy then HE preserves,The Vishnu.

js_daquilanea
Garter
Garter

Post by js_daquilanea » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:29 am

i think i got it...overlapping of niches among similar species but different ecotypes are manifested in intraspecific competition or cooperation isnt it?thanks for the clues!
If energy cannot be created nor destroyed then HE could only be the creator and the destroyer, The alpha and omega, the brahma and shiva. If HE neither create nor destroy then HE preserves,The Vishnu.