Question about nutrients (biochemistry)

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

starswept
Garter
Garter

Question about nutrients (biochemistry)

Post by starswept » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:21 am

Hi,

I'm doing an assignment on macronutrients for a biochemistry unit in high school biology. I've read my textbook and searched online, but can't seem to find definite answers for the following question:
What is the difference between NECESSARY and ESSENTIAL nutrients?

My guess, so far, is that necessary nutrients would refer to nutrients needed to provide the body with energy: the macronutrients (lipids, carbs, proteins), which are chemicals in the body. Essential nutrients would be the nutrients which are needed in smaller quantities, but are not made or synthesized by the body? However, I've pieced this together without any lesson on the subject or clear explanation anywhere so I am very likely wrong. If anyone could provide help, I'd be very grateful. Thank you!

honeev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by honeev » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:24 am

nutrients that are said to be 'essential' are those that have to be obtained from food sources, since the body either does not produce them, or produces them in small, insufficient amounts. Examples of essential nutrients are water, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals. Some nutrients however are referred to as 'nonessential'. They, in contrast to 'essential', are those that need not to be obtained from food since the body readily produces them. An example is cholesterol.. but nonessential nutrients do not mean they are 'unnecessary'... so i guess necessary nutrients are those that cover nonessential nutrients...
"Why you care about small things? World very simple place...
World only have two things: Things you can eat and things you no can eat."

- Quina Quen (ffix)