Whats wrong with my eye? & how do i fix it?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

u_wish09
Garter
Garter

Whats wrong with my eye? & how do i fix it?

Post by u_wish09 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 am

When I was younger I noticed that I never could see out of my left eye. The dr said that the optical nerve never functioned, but of course I dont know what that means. I've also been told that as a younger child they also thought it was a lazy eye, so I had a patch on my right eye and because they thought it would get better, i was always running into stuff. Like walls. So does anyone know whats really wrong with me, and if so...how do i fix it?

Thank you

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:19 am

If your doctor said so (the optical nerve never functioned), it means that the nerve in your left eyes cannot send the signal to the brain to be processed. There are some possibility how this can happen, probably the photo receptors doesn't work, or something wring in synaptic areas, something else. Unfortunaltely I am not a clinician so I cannot explain as much as you expected. However, in short way I can say that "the cat cannot cross the river without a bridge", means that we cannot see properly when the nerve cannot pass the signal to the brain.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:11 pm

sorry, if your optical nerve is damaged, i don't think you can do anything. Medicine is working, but i doubt they can help you now. Perhaps in some years...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter