Basophils vs. Mastocytes

For discussing the functions of different structures of all organisms.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Basophils vs. Mastocytes

Post by Ultrashogun » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:02 pm

It says in my book that both Mastocytes and Basophils are involved in hyersensitisation, utilising heparin and hystamin. Mastocytes do this also, in what way are the cells specialized in repect to each other?

Is it that Mastocytes are more prominent in connective tissue while basophils are more active in blood?

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:12 am

Yes, both basophils and mast cells take part in allergy and hypersensitivity. It is stated that mast cell is derived from basophil, similar to how macrophage is derived from monocytes: basophil and monocytes circulates in peripheral blood, then become resident in tissue. Mast cells mostly locate in areolar/loose connective tissue, while macrophage distribute much wider.

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:17 pm

When you say "it is stated", do you mean that its a theory or that it is established as factual?

Anyway thanks for the answer, Im not sure that my histology book is so good, its one of those books written by all the proffesors of our university, so of course they "recommend" it. Greedy bastards!!

xand_3r
Garter
Garter

Post by xand_3r » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:58 pm

Well, in fact there are two different theories, one that states that mast cells are derived from basophyls and other that states that mast cells are derived from mastoblasts from the bone marrow (mastoblast->promast cell->mast cell)

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:30 am

Ultrashogun wrote:When you say "it is stated", do you mean that its a theory or that it is established as factual?

I said so because it is based on experiments to trace the origin of mast cell. For instance, there is a specific marker (CD34) on mast cell which doesn't owned by other cells. Those scientists trace it in order to get mast cell "ancestor", which bring the marker. The result showed that basophil also bring that marker, thus so far it is conluded that mast cell is derived from the same precursor as basophil.

I never heard of "mastoblast" :oops: