lipase enzyme

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kashfi
Garter
Garter

lipase enzyme

Post by kashfi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:16 pm

hi!
i'm doing an experiment where i have to change the substrate concentration which is milk and i want to know how it will affect the lipase enzyme.
can anyone help ME and also if you know a good website for enzyme post it to me.
THANKS

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:21 pm

Well i can tell you this: milk contains a fairly small amount of fat. if you diluted that amount will decrease still further. So, by measuring enzyme activity at different substrates you should get a nice MM plot...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

kashfi
Garter
Garter

re:lipase enzyme

Post by kashfi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:34 am

what is the mm plot you were talkin about

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:30 pm

probably michaelis-menten ? but when i determine enzyme activities, i draw an absorption curve with a spectrophotometric assay.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm

yeah you can do that, i was thinking that you actually want to study your enzyme. Sdekivit's method is the best way to go: use a dye that reacts with the product of your enzyme catalysed reaction. The more product, the more dye. Then measure absorbtion ratio, do a graph and(if you did the work properly) you would a straight line. If not, you will get 16/40 at your biochemistry exam like me.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter