3 stages of DNA replication

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

zmike
Garter
Garter

3 stages of DNA replication

Post by zmike » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:13 pm

I am preparing for my bio exam and I came across this question: What are the 3 stages of DNA replication?

I was completely confused. I had a note stating that DNA mut be coded, replicated, and interpreted but those are only characteristics so is that the 3 stages of DNA replication?

thanks

honeev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by honeev » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:02 am

Initiation (starting point of replication) --> Elongation (of new DNA at replication fork) --> Termination
"Why you care about small things? World very simple place...
World only have two things: Things you can eat and things you no can eat."

- Quina Quen (ffix)

Tan Tze Chein
Garter
Garter

Post by Tan Tze Chein » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 am

The more specific answer is the initiation which catalyzed by the RNA Primase enzymes;the RNA Primase enzymes initiate the DNA polymerase 3 enzymes to add DNA nucleotide to elongate the newly synthesized DNA stand. The second stage is the elongation of the newly synthesized DNA stand. The elongation is catalyzed by DNA polymerase 3. The DNA polymerase 3 enzymes can only add DNA nuleotides to the three prime end of the deoxyribose sugar.The nature of this DNA polymerase 3 enzymes and the anti-parallel nature of the DNA stand causes the leading stand and the lagging stand to occur. The last stage is the termination stage which the RNA nucleotides was change back to DNA nucleotides;this reaction is catalyzed by DNA polymerase 1. After changing the RNA nucleotides back to DNA nucleotides, the fragments which known as okazaki fragments was linked together by the formation of phosphodiester bonds between the okazaki fragments. This process is catalyzed by DNA ligase enzymes.

zmike
Garter
Garter

Post by zmike » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:54 pm

thanks for the answer.