how to increase water flow from hyposomatic to hypersomatic

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mufan
Garter
Garter

how to increase water flow from hyposomatic to hypersomatic

Post by mufan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:12 am

What determines the speed of water flow from a hyposomatic to a hypersomatic solution. For instance, if I had a concentrated Nacl solution would water flow faster to it or to a concentrated MgBr, NaBr, MgCl, AgCl, etc. solution?

Is it solely a function of concentration or does the dissociation constant of the salt have something to do with it?

WouterVS
Garter
Garter

Post by WouterVS » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:44 am

It's been a while since I've studied this, but I do remember the method.

You need to use a formula you've seen, and calculate what the 'concentration gradient' is.

NaCl whill 'fall apart' into Na+ en Cl- in water,
whereass e.g. MgCl2 will form Mg2+ and 2 Cl-

Since MgCl2 will form more atoms it'll have a higher concentration-gradiënt and the water will flow to the MgCl2 to compensate for the difference.

You need a formula to calculate the exact figures here, but if I remember correctly, that's bassicly al there is to it.

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:54 am

the factors affecting the velocity should be- mass of ion , no. of ion produced per molec. and in bulk, [as said above] n temp. which relates to KE...

am too. curious abt the formula///

mufan
Garter
Garter

Post by mufan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Does the ration of postive to negative ions have anything to do with it? For instance if I had Na2So4 then I would have 2 Na+ and one SO4-. But if I had MgCl2 then I would have 2 anions and one cations.

So does water flow faster toward a solution with more positive ions (na2so4) or a solution with more negative ions (mgcl2)?