Weird-looking bacterial pellette

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Southerner
Garter
Garter

Weird-looking bacterial pellette

Post by Southerner » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm

I centrifuged a flask of over-night grown bacteria, but I obtained a pellete of jelly like "material" on top of a more solid pellete (which I think is the bacterial I was growing in suspension). I have been doing this same task many times before and never encountered such kind of occurance.

Is it a contamination? If so, what could be the contaminant?

Thanks,

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:51 pm

could be a contamination, can't think of anything else that might give that result, especially if you did it before and got good results.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Southerner
Garter
Garter

Post by Southerner » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Thank you MrMistery
True. I can't think of anything else. But I am curious if there is 'the usual suspect' bug. Given that my culture contains Ampicillin and the contaminant is obviously resistant to it, I suspect a fungal contamination. But i am not sure if the viscosity or jelly-like appearance of the pellet is consistent with a fungal contamination.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:30 pm

don't be so sure to rule out bacteria. There are plenty of bacteria resistant to ampicilin.
Here's a stupid thought: maybe your contaminant received the ampicilin resistance gene from the bacteria you were growing..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:39 pm

It is hard to say anything considering you do not even tell us which bacteria you were growing. It might be a contaminant, but some bacteria can also produce some weird looking things if they start forming a biofilm. So it is really hard to make any diagnostic.

And I second MrMistery: many bacteria are ampicillin resistant. In fact as an environmental microbiologist I can assure you that resistance to ampicillin is quite common in environmental samples.

If you really want to know what you have plate your jelly like stuff on a plate made of the same broth (+agar) that you used for your liquid culture
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)