general rule what to expect at the 5'-end of viral RNA?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sovo
Garter
Garter

general rule what to expect at the 5'-end of viral RNA?

Post by sovo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:27 pm

I would like to use Epicenters Terminator 5'-phosphate-dependent exonuclease to digest human rRNA, but don't want to destroy any viral RNA present in the sample. The enzyme only digests RNA with a 5'-monophosphate, not those with a cap, hydroxyl group or triphosphosphate. We are interested in any virus which might be present, so I can't give you an exclusive list, but is there anything like a general rule about what to expect at the 5'-end of the RNA of an RNA virus? And what about the viral mRNA (do you call them mRNA?) - how do they look like?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Sonja

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:56 pm

well i think the viral mRNA must have a cap and a poly A tail, otherwise the cellular machinery would degrade them immediately no?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Shallos
Garter
Garter

Post by Shallos » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:11 am

Any way, i don't think it is possible to exclusively protect "all" the viral rna in your digestion because of the diversity of virus. You may focus on several virus that you are interested in and design your experiements.