LIfe processes affected by temperature..

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sweetxd
Garter
Garter

LIfe processes affected by temperature..

Post by sweetxd » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 pm

what are some other ones besides
cellular respiration and photosynthesis...?

i also have one more qs:
Distinguish between substrate-level phosphorylation and oxidative phosphorylation. Where does the energy for oxidative phosphorylation come from? (*pretty tough one..)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:49 pm

1. any chemical reaction in the cell. also membrane fluidity

2. substrate level phosphorilation does not require oxygen. the energy for oxidative phosphorilation comes from the exergonic redox reaction of reducing oxygen to water.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

p33
Garter
Garter

Post by p33 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:19 pm

you have to address more clearly by saying "life processes" Are you meaning "Cellular processes" or just generally any "processes that realted to life sciences". I have an interesting one for you if your definition applies to whole organism level: sex determination in several species such as turtle is influenced by temperature :)

biobynight
Garter
Garter

Cellular processes affected by temperature..

Post by biobynight » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:34 pm

I am also interested in specific examples of this, especially precise measurements and general biophysics laws involving temperature.

*Please* give me references to studies addressing the relationship between temperature and any of the following:

1) membrane permeability and information flow (lipid assembly, channels, pumps, receptors)
2) diffusion (interaction with molecule size and shape)
3) protein-protein interactions (again, affected also by shape/bi-stability)
4) transcription rate and errors (TF to DNA binding rate, polymerase binding rate, chromatin effects)
5) translation rate and errors