Humans, Apes, Birds, and Intimidation

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:35 am

@linn
yeah i saw about koko, but the arguments against are that the gail researcher(her name eludes me now) has become to attached of koko and has lost scientific objectivity, therefore making the stats unreliable. Nobody disputes that koko does know a lot of things, but some say that it was given more credit than was due... I am not an expert, just happened to come across this in a magazine a while back.. Don't even remember where... Sorry

@David George
yes you are right, brain size and circumvolutions are not the only indication of intelligence. Some birds, like the crow mention are very intelligent and can actually use a tool in order to get food- though they have a fairly small brain.
And let's not forget the grey rat(Rattus norvegicus). this animal has a medium brain, and does not posses circumvolutions, and is also very smart.
And what about social intelligence? Bees have brains no bigger than the seed of grass(VERY small!) and by dividing their actions they can achieve wonders.

Generally, in my opinion, a bigger brain/organism ration means that the animal is able to do more things, not necessarily is smarter...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:38 pm

That is: Brain Matters....
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".