urgent cell question please

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Roten910
Garter
Garter

urgent cell question please

Post by Roten910 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:57 am

Hey, I'm just taking biology and I need to double check this question and make sure I'm correct. I'm wondering why a warm environment is advntageous for a living cell compared to a cold environment? The topic is on Demonstrating Diffusion. Please help me answer this question.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 am

warm and cold are very relative terms. generally it is better to be a little warmer cause chemical reactions and brownian motion speed up... but in certain limits. also as a consequence of this the membrane is more fluid... your teacher asked a very vague question
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

chenwithasterisk
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: urgent cell question please

Post by chenwithasterisk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:40 am

Roten910 wrote:Hey, I'm just taking biology and I need to double check this question and make sure I'm correct. I'm wondering why a warm environment is advntageous for a living cell compared to a cold environment? The topic is on Demonstrating Diffusion. Please help me answer this question.

an increase in temperatue means the particles move faster,having more kinetic energy. this has two effects.there are more collisions in a given volume in a given time. particles have more energy greater than activation energy.

cheers

jimmystang
Garter
Garter

Post by jimmystang » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:35 pm

yeah enzymes usually function better at higher temps, that is, until they're denatured
Give me a place to stand, and I will move the Earth.
- Archimedes

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:00 am

Oh the good old RGT-Regel ! For those who can speak German: Reaktionsgeschwindigkeitstemperaturregel. :-)