Coral

Post by Locus » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:41 am

Good luck at the exam!
Evolution will arrange everything

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:36 am

Sorry I don't have a better close up of 'em :)
Isn't he cute?! Does he look like a dung beetle? I think so! I am to tired to identify to closely tonight but I looked in my book and I think it is a definite scarab. I totally thought of this thread when I saw him tonight! WHAT A CUTIE!
I also heard my first whipper-wheel of the year tonight :) What a nice night in Kansas!

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

orbit
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by orbit » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:02 am

Ok, so this is slightly off the subject but as we are talking about insects (and peoples views on them) I thought I'd bring it up. Why is it, that a lot of animal rights activists only seem interested in protecting the rights of animals that are cute and furry or on occasion animals that are cute and feathery? Not too many of them seem concerned with reptiles and amphibians, and even less of them seem concerned with the rights of invertebrates. Is this not hypocritical? Personally, I think an ant is as valid a life form as any other (and I include humans in this). You hear about animal rights a reasonable amount, but I have never, not once, heard somebody try to defend the rights of an invertebrate. Do you think it will ever happen? I can easily walk down the shop now and buy chemicals to kill some bugs and nobody would bat an eyelid. Whereas, if I shot a dog, I think a few people might take notice. You can of course buy chemicals for the killing of rats, which whilst not invertebrates, are not considered by the general public to be the cute variety of furry, and hence it is deemed acceptable. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Bugz
Coral
Coral

Post by Bugz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:35 am

hey Feb ~~nice, is that you?

That is a dung beetle!!
Only after the last tree has been cut down.
Only after the last river has been poisoned.
Only after the last fish has been caught.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:58 am

I have similar one at the my collection... I don't know is them (my and on the foto) related to one species or not but seems very similar.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:58 am

Yes that is me! Oh my goodness his* antenna are so cute! It is hard for me to find the exact species but I will try to dig harder to find it :)

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 pm

to orbit:

I truly don't believe that there will ever be right protecting insects... That doesn't mean that there should or shouldn't be, but most of the "civilized" world today does not believe that the life of an insect is as important as a bunny's life.

to February Beetle:

Do little guys like that appear a lot in Kansas?

-Danny

arian
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by arian » Fri May 04, 2007 8:25 am

is any identification manual on isects (includin all the orders) in one publishing copy?
Can anyone help me with it?
thank you

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Sat May 05, 2007 4:09 pm

i_r_e_d wrote:most of the "civilized" world today does not believe that the life of an insect is as important as a bunny's life.

Oh, yes :( . It is impossible to reanimate anyone biosystem by the begining from, for example, animals like tigers and panda - they simply will not survive in the disballanced system, and one of the fundaments of terrestrial ecosysteme, when mummals and birds only the roof.
Ariane - are you know about this site:
bugguide.net
?

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Sat May 05, 2007 5:01 pm

That's an interesting website Locus... Very useful, thanks...

-Danny

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Sun May 06, 2007 1:50 pm

i_r_e_d: Yes, actually. I didn't know until this year tough. Silly me, but I have been looking outside under the lights after it gets dark and they are out there was the June Bugs, do you know what those are? I know they are in scarab also.

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Mon May 07, 2007 2:53 am

Yes I know what they are!! :wink: But I don't know where scarab is... How can something be in a scarab? :?

-Danny