best books in genetics

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

blazblazni
Garter
Garter

best books in genetics

Post by blazblazni » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Hi...i am an undergrad student and would appreciate as many suggestions as i can get about this : which is the best overall genetics book? ...kind of like "The Cell" is for molecular biology. I've read something about two books : "Genes IX", which comes out in about a month and "From genes to genomes" from Hartwell. I would appreciate remarks why you liked or disliked any of the books. Thanks

wbla3335
Coral
Coral

Post by wbla3335 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:38 am

I'm not familiar with "From Genes to Genomes", but I have an earlier edition of "Genes" (I think it is V) by Lewin. Later editions are probably just updates, so I would like to recommend this book. Not only is it thorough, but what impressed me most was Lewin's writing style. Rarely does a scientist write so clearly and simply. So, I would recommend "Genes IX" without reservation. But I would also recommend that you wait for responses from others who may be familiar with both books you mention, or others, before buying anything. This type of book tends to be expensive.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:33 pm

i have "introduction to genetic analysis" by Anthony Grifith and it's ok. i haven't read any otehr book, but it's good
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:14 pm

I had the last GENES book, I paid alot of money for it and I never used it. Our professor told us that we didn't need a book for the class ... but I wanted to have one to use as a reference for "simple/basic concepts". THere were times that I opened the book in search of a simplified explanation ... and, the explanation either wasn't there or wasn't simple.

I am at the graduate level, and I did not find the Genes book helpful, and I don't recommend you buy it ...maybe the the other book would be better.

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:29 pm

MrMistery wrote:i have "introduction to genetic analysis" by Anthony Grifith and it's ok. i haven't read any otehr book, but it's good

I agree with you. Introduction to genetic analysis by A. Griffith is a good book. I recommend it.

Miss_Me
Garter
Garter

Post by Miss_Me » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:33 am

I have "Concepts of Genetics" by William S. Klug (8th Edition).

The book has proved to be very useful when it came to doing my assignments as it had a lot information in there relating to my work. But for revising, I wouldn't recommend it. It's o-k-a-y for revising but thats about it.

hope this helps

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:34 pm

"Gene" serries is best.....
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:37 pm

"Genetics. Analises&Principals" by Brooker.
Evolution will arrange everything