Smart Comments

Any comments about the site and the forum go here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 am

i totally agree with the last one that honee said. take for example the writing in all caps and naming topics out of place. even if the rule does state that people should do it right(cause that would be ideal), as the forum evolved we realised that it is impossible to warn people for that. so now i just rename it myself or if i don't have time(which is the case lately) ask the poster to do it. same thing with posting in wrong forum, we move them. the forum is not army.
But when it comes to the questions answered 200 times already, i get really annoyed. search the forum people, that button is not there for decoration!!!
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:44 am

Well I dont hve any problems with this forum.
I think its great!
and the mods do an excellent job.
They cant help what people who post write
or how its interpreted. :wink:
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

destiny
Coral
Coral

Post by destiny » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:20 am

Linn wrote:Well I dont hve any problems with this forum.
I think its great!
and the mods do an excellent job.
They cant help what people who post write
or how its interpreted. :wink:

Agreed. :)

=I'm just a kid=

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:29 am

@Vibrio,
I have to say that the mods should be nicer sometimes. MrMistery you're all O.k. (except the bit about facism, remember ?) but others should be more polite sometimes. That's what I'd wish.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:24 pm

fascism? I don't remember that... But i must have been a moment thing cause i have no strong feelings about the subject... I really kinda hate politics :lol:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

kjle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by kjle » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Ughh, I hate politics too
- disarm you with a smile

Founder of "Photography Club"
Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe

#1 posts/day total
#8 total post count

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 am

MrMistery wrote:fascism? I don't remember that...

You once told me my party speech sounded like a Nazi, remember ? That was unfai. Just because I'm rom Germany that doesn't mean I belong to these mass murderers.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 am

Haha... I remember... But that was a joke... And btw i don't think i even knew you were from Germany at that time.
I would need very compelling evidence before actually accusing someone of being a nazi

pseudoscientist
Garter
Garter

Post by pseudoscientist » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:37 am

How did this thread turn into a language discussion? Regarding the "Chinese" phrase "shishilee," I would assume it is "xie xie le," which basically means "thank you."

Regarding the actual topic, I have no personal issues with "smart comments." I would even like them if they happen to be really smart (read: funny). I myself am often guilty of making smart comments on other forums, though I doubt I would have the same privilege here what with my lack of knowledge in biology. I expect to do a lot of reading and absorbing and not contributing to any discussion at all.

However, while the sort of comments the original poster was complaining about does not particularly offend me, I do find them annoying. Posts like "jk" or "lol" or "thank you" or other similar useless comments should be banned, especially considering this forum has such potential to be, y'know, an intelligent kind of forum. Didn't the moderators write something about this in the "Forum Rules"? Yet apparently many people didn't read it.

I have been a member of this forum for only a couple hours, but it seems that a lot of people really like to say things even when they have nothing to say at all. I also find it a bit mind-numbing that the members of a nude celebrities forum (I won't put the link up here for fear of harming the underages) sound a lot more coherent and intelligent than the members of a science forum.

Ah, well. I'll get over it.

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Solution- remove post counts

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:33 pm

@pseudo

we've been giving out warnings.