osmosis

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

chenglorraine
Death Adder
Death Adder

osmosis

Post by chenglorraine » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:01 pm

A high concentration of glucose in the blood can harm body cells as a result of osmosis.
Why is that? :shock:

Oscerot
Coral
Coral

Post by Oscerot » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:27 pm

It's been a good year and a half since I've dealt with this area of biology, so please don't take my answer as correct.
=======

I believe it's because the concentration gradient of water in the blood to the body cells will be out of proportion, therein the water from the body cells will diffuse via osmosis back into the blood, and as a result the body cells will shrivel and potentially die because of lack of nourishment.

However, even though it doesn't matter in regards to your question, this scenario cannot really happen because your endocrine system will regulate the blood sugar levels.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: osmosis

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:12 pm

chenglorraine wrote:A high concentration of glucose in the blood can harm body cells as a result of osmosis.
Why is that? :shock:

Imagine that you add more sugar, more and more into a glass of water. The viscosity will increase. In our body it means that heart has to pump harder and harder. None wants to get heart failure because of work too hard ;)

Oscerot
Coral
Coral

Post by Oscerot » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:36 pm

He was talking about all body cells, not the heart.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:02 pm

lol.. yeah.. hip-hip hurray for the pancreas
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

chenglorraine
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by chenglorraine » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:57 am

Thanks for all of your answers! (by the way, I am a she)

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:07 am

chenglorraine wrote:(by the way, I am a she)

He he he, my dear chenglorraine ;).

_at_ Oscerot: But Dr.Stein's answer is right too. If heart pumps slowly due to an increased blood viscosity, the oxygen transport will be slowed down and cells will take oxygen with difficulty (and body cells need oxygen for respiration). As a consequence, it would affect to cardiac muscle and could finish in heart failure.

Oscerot
Coral
Coral

Post by Oscerot » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Oh I see, I guess I was just looking at the immediate effect and not how it would indirectly affect other cells.

Thank you. :)

But either way it doesn't seem likely to happen unless you're a diabetic who isn't taking his or her insulin and you have a problem with your kidneys.

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:10 pm

Oscerot wrote:But either way it doesn't seem likely to happen unless you're a diabetic who isn't taking his or her insulin and you have a problem with your kidneys.

Mmmm... It is difficult but not imposible ;).

See ya! ;)

chenglorraine
Death Adder
Death Adder

high level of glucose

Post by chenglorraine » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Imagine if your blood glucose level remains fatally high - coud you actually die?

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:19 pm

When glycemia rises, the excess of glucose acts directly in the islets of Langerhans to increase the insulin production. The glycemia shouldn't be so high because the glucose is the responsible of the osmotic pressure of the extracellular liquid and if its concentration becomes high, it could produce cell dehydration. As consequence, glucose could be excreted in the urine (that fact produces disorders in kidneys) and the organism could lost its liquids. It would be a real trouble...

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: high level of glucose

Post by sachin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:24 pm

chenglorraine wrote:Imagine if your blood glucose level remains fatally high - coud you actually die?

Ya, Hyper Glycemia. Long exposure cause many problems....refer Dr.Stein and enzyme, others too....
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".