C. botulinum: interesting organism!!

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

C. botulinum: interesting organism!!

Post by Vibrio » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:08 am

I love this organism, even though it is very toxic. Did you know that Botox facial treatment is actually Botulinum toxin type A? This is a very potent toxin that blocks the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter is involved in muscle movement. When the toxin blocks this chemical, it results in paralysis. So, the Botoxis actually paralyzing facial muscles which cause wrinkles to disappear.

I find this toxin and the bacterium very interesting!! Check out these links!!

http://microbes.historique.net/bot.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_botulinum
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~

http://bfunited.18.forumer.com

Condraz23
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Condraz23 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:41 am

Botulin toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is often believed to be a potential bioweapon as it is so potent that it takes less than one microgram to kill a person, and a drop could kill 100,000 people, though contact is uncommon.

This would make it more potent than dimethylmercury. Three liters of botulin toxin can wipe out the entire human race.

destiny
Coral
Coral

Post by destiny » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:05 am

Cool site! =)

Though botulin toxin is highly toxic, it is used in minute doses both to treat painful muscles spasms, and as a cosmestic treatment in some parts of the world.

Overall, Clostridium botulinum has both advantages and disadvantages.

=I'm just a kid=

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:22 pm

Though botulin toxin is highly toxic, it is used in minute doses both to treat painful muscles spasms, and as a cosmestic treatment in some parts of the world.

To get Wrinkle free????.... Lol...
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vibrio » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:21 pm

This is one of my favorite toxins since it has such potential to be used in medicine.

Botulin toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is often believed to be a potential bioweapon as it is so potent that it takes less than one microgram to kill a person, and a drop could kill 100,000 people, though contact is uncommon.

This would make it more potent than dimethylmercury. Three liters of botulin toxin can wipe out the entire human race.

I shiver at these facts!! That stuff's powerful!!
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~

destiny
Coral
Coral

Post by destiny » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:24 am

sachin_at_biog wrote:Though botulin toxin is highly toxic, it is used in minute doses both to treat painful muscles spasms, and as a cosmestic treatment in some parts of the world.

To get Wrinkle free????.... Lol...

Probably...Haha. Ladies would like it. =)

=I'm just a kid=

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:26 am

Yeah, Botox is very popular among women who pay very much attention to their physical performance after silicon era. This is a very harmful species, thus they apply only a little amount of the toxin to improving body performance. However, we must be aware that not all individual's cell will respond properly for the toxin. There will always a possibility for this species to break our machinery. Ones might pay too much to satisfaction but nothing's perfect, they play with their life 8) I myself don't get interested on this Botox therapy.

destiny
Coral
Coral

Post by destiny » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:05 am

Dr.Stein wrote:Yeah, Botox is very popular among women who pay very much attention to their physical performance after silicon era. This is a very harmful species, thus they apply only a little amount of the toxin to improving body performance. However, we must be aware that not all individual's cell will respond properly for the toxin. There will always a possibility for this species to break our machinery. Ones might pay too much to satisfaction but nothing's perfect, they play with their life 8) I myself don't get interested on this Botox therapy.

Me too. I am also not interested in this botox therapy.

=I'm just a kid=

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vibrio » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:05 am

I don't think I'd ever get it. But the concept in interesting. As strange as this sounds, I might like to try it just to say that I was affected by that toxin. But the cost is out of this world!!
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~