Chromosomes Question

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

StillLearning
Garter
Garter

Chromosomes Question

Post by StillLearning » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:19 am

The question given is:
Chromosomes are made up of DNA. Sections of DNA make up your genes. The nucleus of your cheek cell contains 46 chromosomes. The nuclei of your other body cells contain 46 chromosomes as well. How do your cheek cells know to be cheek cells when they contain the same chromosomes as your other body cells?

I'm just completely lost on how to answer this, perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious or something, but could someone please help me out? What am I missing? I'm thinking that the answer is they have the same number of chromosomes, but they DNA within those chromosomes are distinct to cheek cells. Is this correct or on the path to being correct?

If this a stupid question I apologize, it's late and I've been doing biology for quite a few hours now :lol: [/list]

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:46 am

that's a good guess... but not completely correct.

so, your Check, heart and liver cells all contain 46 chromosomes (having a a COMPLETE set of genes). SO, the thing that gives these cells their correct function isn't due to the fact that the DNA is different.

Instead, what makes a cheek cell different from a heart cell and a liver cells is it's function. And what controls it's function? Well DNA tells a cell 'what it's supposed to be doing' ... and what the cell needs to produce to be a differentiated cell.

So.. this is easily accomplished by differentially expressing genes... genes that are specific for CHEEK Vs. HEART Vs. LIVER cell function.

good luck with your studies
- KIM

StillLearning
Garter
Garter

Post by StillLearning » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:05 am

Thanks so much, LilKim -- I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! :)

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:00 pm

It s matter of cell diferentiation, phenomenon pre- embryonic development...
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".