Radioactive Isotopes?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

LiL Homie
Garter
Garter

Radioactive Isotopes?

Post by LiL Homie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:30 pm

Imagine that you were studying a primitive organism found on mars. Within this organsim, there are 2 compounds that look like promising possibilities for the hereditary material of the organism. Each compound contains an element NOT found in the other.

How could you use radioactive isoptopes to determine which of the 2 componds is replicated as the cells of the organism replicate & divide?----
I don't really understand the uses of radioactive isotopes, I've been trying to read up on it- but it still doesn't make complete sense & I'm not quite sure how to apply it to situations like the one above. Can someone please help explain it to me. I would really appreciate it. Thank You! :)

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:36 pm

You could find some inspiration in the work of the older:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meselson-Stahl_experiment
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

chuka1212
Garter
Garter

Post by chuka1212 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:53 pm

From what I can remember from chemistry, a radioactive isotope is one that decays at a steady rate, sometimes quick sometimes slow. The isotope and it's element have the same amount of protons but different neutrons. A readioactive isoptope expells these neutrons allowing for detection through a variety of methods. To find the genetic material of this organism in question, just tag each of the the different elements, and detect any emmissions in the new organisms. If you have a genetics book, the discovery of wheter DNA or RNA was the heritable material was done in a similar way, using isotopes. I would study isotopes and how DNA was discovered in Wikipedia for more info!

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 am

The radioactive is used to measure the age of thing, also can be used to label and then we trace it :)

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:17 pm

chuka1212 wrote:From what I can remember from chemistry, a radioactive isotope is one that decays at a steady rate, sometimes quick sometimes slow. The isotope and it's element have the same amount of protons but different neutrons. A readioactive isoptope expells these neutrons allowing for detection through a variety of methods. To find the genetic material of this organism in question, just tag each of the the different elements, and detect any emmissions in the new organisms. If you have a genetics book, the discovery of wheter DNA or RNA was the heritable material was done in a similar way, using isotopes. I would study isotopes and how DNA was discovered in Wikipedia for more info!

LiL Homie havent said DNA or RNA, saying something diff.
So I think It will be neccesary to detect chemical composition of Genetical material of those organisms :idea: :idea:
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:34 pm

sachin_at_biog wrote:
LiL Homie havent said DNA or RNA, saying something diff.
So I think It will be neccesary to detect chemical composition of Genetical material of those organisms :idea: :idea:

The question was:
How could you use radioactive isotopes to determine which of the 2 componds is replicated as the cells of the organism replicate & divide?----

So you already have an idea of which compound you want to study. Select the right isotope for that compounds and do a pulse/chase experiment.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:57 pm

Then why did LiL Homie took marcian.. :roll: ......for example.....Earth will do that same.. :o ....If DNA Matters.. :?: :?:
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".