Chromosomes in relation to evolution

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Fromage
Garter
Garter

Chromosomes in relation to evolution

Post by Fromage » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:58 am

If variation among genes is the raw material that forms the basis for evolution (as my textbook says), then does that mean that organisms with a greater number of chromosomes have a faster rate or higher incidence of evolving?

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:34 am

greater no. of chromosomes may or may not mean greater genetic variation, and the variation at a particular locus is also required in the population...And the availibility of raw material is an important point, so the rate of change of gene frequencies in the adaptive landscape also depends upon the viability of the variants possible, so even if alot'f mutants are available , and their viability is very less, then there won't be gene frequency change to major extent, i.r. in ur words more rate/incidence of evolution...

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:35 am

greater no. of chromosomes may or may not mean greater genetic variation, and the variation at a particular locus is also required in the population...And the availibility of raw material is an important point, so the rate of change of gene frequencies in the adaptive landscape also depends upon the viability of the variants possible, so even if alot'f mutants are available , and their viability is very less, then there won't be gene frequency change to major extent, i.e. in ur words more rate/incidence of evolution...