Timber production and ecosystems - pleasee help!!

Discussion of the distribution and abundance of living organisms and how these properties are affected by interactions between the organisms and their environment

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

claireyfairy
Garter
Garter

Timber production and ecosystems - pleasee help!!

Post by claireyfairy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:13 pm

i really need help with this question, :?: :?:

using timber production in temperature countries as an example, explain how ecosystems can be managed in a sustainable way.

thanks claire

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:21 pm

Well, look it up online...
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:58 pm

Sounds like A level geography to me. Try finding case studies from Brazil, Papua New Guiena, Indonesia etc. Although most of the logging in these countries is actually unsustainable. Think about sustainable methods eg selective felling. There are many methods possible- which you must have learnt about and are what you need to talk about.

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:49 am

Well, the question is addressing "temperature" (temperate :) forests, so tropical areas like Brazil and Indonesia wouldn't apply.

For an example of this situation, just look at our own beloved northwest.
Forestry as "ecosystem management" is an iffy deal at best. Ultimately forestry is a tool (the trees being the resource) to feed our economy and further development. No matter what methods are used, there will be a cost to the environment.
In your question, you say timber "production" not harvest, so I guess I would like a clarification on what you mean.
Anyhow, I'm assuming you mean forestry as a whole.
Proponents of the timber industry claim that in the absence of a regular fire regime, regular forest thinning (via logging) is a way to sustain a forests natural order of succession and dynamic equilibrium. The problem here is that, in most temperate forests, the normal disturbance regime doesn't cause massive loss of old growth, or large amounts of soil disturbance and erosion.

To address your answer in a more political sense:
If you consider the amount of demand for raw timber resources, on the national and global level, there is no way that we can meet that demand in a sustainable matter.

To further complicate my answer:
The word sustainable is a loaded buzzword and has many different meanings to different people. Here are a few of the possible meanings it could have:
sustainable for the ecosystem
sustainable for the economy
sustainable for culture (way of life)
Do you see what I mean? Applying these different definitions to the original question can result in a very broad array of answers.

So, if I've thoroughly confused you or bored you, I apologize. Just realize that while that question took you a few seconds to type out, it could take a 50 page report or more to adequately address it.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:57 am

Do you mean mean timber forest planning ?
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver