Evolutionary Trait Cladogram

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Dufault
Garter
Garter

Evolutionary Trait Cladogram

Post by Dufault » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:45 am

Hi, I have a school lab to do and it involves making a cladogram that consists of 12 charecters and 9 species of animal. We made the traits into a matrix consisting of 0,1,2. Im having alot of trouble making a tree out of it without having to put ever animal seperately with convergent of every trait. Does anyone know a computer program to make this easier or have tip on going about it?? Thanks.

Dufault
Garter
Garter

Post by Dufault » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:59 pm

Here is the cladogram that I constructed. Is anyone familiar enough to point out some error in it? I had to use alot of stars to represent homoplasies. Is there a way that I could construct this in a better manor?
Attachments
cladogram.jpg
Cladogram

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 pm

I'd suggest doing an internet search for a program.
One program I know of is Phylip. It's pretty decent.

As far as your cladogram, I'm having a hard time reading it. Just make sure you follow the rule of parsimony (Achims razor).

Dufault
Garter
Garter

Post by Dufault » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 pm

AstusAleator wrote:I'd suggest doing an internet search for a program.
One program I know of is Phylip. It's pretty decent.

As far as your cladogram, I'm having a hard time reading it. Just make sure you follow the rule of parsimony (Achims razor).

Yeah, I tried to get that program but I couldnt install it. I have found many program but I have no idea how to actaully make the cladogram on them. I will try and post a clear image one once I make a better one. Basically if you inlarge it you can see it. The traits that are homoplasies are denoted with an *. Thank for your input