reverse-evolution

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

JOY
Garter
Garter

reverse-evolution

Post by JOY » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:26 am

can we reverse the evolutionary changes even in lab-model base,i.e.complex organism to simpler ones?
DR.AJOY KR. DAS

druid
Coral
Coral

Post by druid » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:19 pm

Bring an example of your hypothetical reversion.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:20 pm

Shortly, no.

You can lose feature, but usually what appears "reverse evolution" is merely the evolution going on. And the now useless feature lost will have left some trace at a level or another in the organism.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:06 am

and even if you are able to get an organism to the exact morphology and genotype its ancestor had, this is still not a "reversal" because evolution is not directional any more than time itself is directional. Just because I can stand at point a, then move to point b, and then back to point a, doesn't mean I've reversed time and gone back to point a.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

Schröder
Garter
Garter

Re: reverse-evolution

Post by Schröder » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:09 am

JOY wrote:can we reverse the evolutionary changes even in lab-model base,i.e.complex organism to simpler ones?

complex organisms to simpler ones? :? That is probably possible however it still can be considered as evolution. Remember their is no intrisnic drive towards a more complex species. It all depends on the environment. If an organism's environment changes in such a way that nature must select for certain traits that would be considered "simpler" then you have evolution but the resulting species after several generations would have traits that are less complex than the former.

However I hate using the word "complex" and "simpler" when talking about evolution because those two words are both relative and depends almost strictly on the environment.
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one from so simple a beginning.....The Origin of Species

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:56 pm

If you look at the evolution of lactic acid bacteria, you'll see that it's been shedding a lot of it's genes
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:04 pm

so do you think it is becoming Simpler and simpler day after day????Hmmmmmm
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:56 pm

Aside from the semantic issues anyone might have with the bacteria becoming "simpler":
Much of the genetic material in animal's genomes is "junk" DNA, and shedding it doesn't change a thing. Mith is this the kind of DNA being shed by the bacteria?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:55 am

No actually, it's because LAB grows in a very rich medium(milk and animal guts) so it can discard a lot of it's ancestral genes related to amino acid synthesis or other nutrients and instead incorporate transporters.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Echinoderms like sea stars are said to have evolved to be simpler since there adult form is radial (seeming simpler) but their larval form is bilateral (... more complex).

Also if something like marine mammals are thought to have evolved to land, then evolved back into the sea could maybe be seen as backwards evolution. But that is just a phrase where it isn't truly backwards evolution. It isn't even adapted to the ocean in the same way.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson