Polyphenol oxidase???

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

shana23
Garter
Garter

Polyphenol oxidase???

Post by shana23 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:52 pm

I'm working on a chemistry project and I have a really hard obstacle to get rid of. My partner and I are trying to find out if polyphenol oxidase in the potato can prevent E.Coli from attaching its cells to the chemical substance's. However, it is impossible to find the polyphenol oxidase for sale and we were wondering if you would know how to extract that chemical substance from the potato juice (if you can say that).

mzaks
Garter
Garter

Re: Polyphenol oxidase???

Post by mzaks » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:33 pm

You want to use a blender to break the cells of a potatoes, or several. Then use a centrifuge to separate the supernatant liquid from the pellet, this liquid will contain the enzyme that naturally occurs in potatoes...
Hope this helps.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:57 am

after doing what mzaks said i would recommend doing an electrophoresis followed by a western blot, in order to separate the enzyme from all the other stuff in the cytosol.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter