Mitosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Methal
Garter
Garter

Post by Methal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:53 am

OoBiologyoO wrote:No, basically in class we looked at cells in mitosis from an onion root.
We found that, on average, there were 18 chromosomes per cell in anaphase.
But they ask us, if we didn't have a microscope, how we could predict the number of chromosomes we were going to find...

Personally that sounds like a really stupid question. We DO have microscopes, no reason not to use them. without them we wouldnt even know what a chromasome was...
That'll do donkey, That'll do.

OoBiologyoO
Garter
Garter

Post by OoBiologyoO » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:07 pm

I know, lots of things are wrong with this class. But I complained enough (politely), and I don't want them to hate me :?
I'm a good student, and it's not my habit to go on discussion boards to get answers to my homework, but here, without any lecture or pointers or helpful lab notebook, I have no choice really...

Thank you so much for your help, all of you! Druid, I will try your answer! I will be sure to come back and tell you what the expected answer is.

Thanks!

OoBiologyoO
Garter
Garter

Post by OoBiologyoO » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:04 pm

I guess this was the correct answer, since I got an A =)

THANK YOU!

Frank Mensah
Garter
Garter

Post by Frank Mensah » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:53 am

I discovered that, for a zygote to be formed, a haploid number of chromosomes should come from each parent for the diploid number to be restored in the zygote.Also, mitosis undergoes four main stages; pro phase, meta phase, ana phase and telophase

Frank Mensah
Garter
Garter

Post by Frank Mensah » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:03 am

the number of chromosomes in a human is 46. hence, 2n=46 where n is haploid number.

Frank Mensah
Garter
Garter

Post by Frank Mensah » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 am

Frank Mensah wrote:I discovered that, for a zygote to be formed, a haploid number of chromosomes should come from each parent for the diploid number to be restored in the zygote.Also, mitosis undergoes four main stages; pro phase, meta phase,anaphase and telophase
:P