Do Cells have Feelings?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Mon May 23, 2005 11:17 am

You ask if cells have feelings? Good question. :D I have found that protists, protozoa, respond to various forms of stimuli either positively or negatively. Evidently they must "feel" something. They exhibit aggressive behavior, for example Lacrymaria olor is an extreamly aggressive single celled protist. As for stress, they do feel physical stress, in that some protists will form cysts when enviromental conditions become adverse for their existance. Therefore placing them under physical stress. As for human cells, I am sure that there are other possible examples that could be used but I find the single-celled protists to be good examples for cellular study. I hope that this gives you something to go on. If not I would be happy to discuss this topic further :)
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon May 23, 2005 6:35 pm

If they can detect stimules it is no doubt: yes! But i think that the true meaning of this question was if cells have emotions.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Mon May 23, 2005 10:58 pm

That question still haunts me. I understand that we are talking emotions here. As an amateur protozoologist, I have often wondered the same thing in relation to the single celled organisms that I observe. To be happy or sad we need to have some form of awareness to produce an emotional response or so I would think. So allow me to pose a question. Do single celled organisms posess a certain form of awareness and if awareness produces emotional responses then why would one of these single celled organisms be incapable of, at least, some primative form of emotional response? They dispaly all the other physiological aspects of much higher animals that are capable of displaying some form of emotion, so how about or why not some form of awareness on a unicellular level? Sounds far fetched doesn't it? :? Ah well, if we don't ask, we will never know.

That was a good question posed here, Do cells have feelings (emotions)? I am sure the question is in relation to cells which make up tissue, no doubt but I could not help but to interject more into the question than what was asked. Don't ask me the time or I may try to explain how a clock works :lol: But if anyone has any thoughts as to the habits of single celled protists or even care to speculate if they may have a certain form of awareness. I would be interested to hear what they may have to say.

Thanks for the reply :D
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

dragonblood
Garter
Garter

Post by dragonblood » Tue May 24, 2005 2:43 am

:? dont u have to have a brain to experience emotion? they have a nuclious, but no brain. :?

dragonblood
Garter
Garter

Post by dragonblood » Tue May 24, 2005 2:46 am

i dont really think they do :?:

dragonblood
Garter
Garter

Post by dragonblood » Tue May 24, 2005 2:50 am

i mean how can it :|

Madrick
Garter
Garter

Meh

Post by Madrick » Tue May 24, 2005 4:18 pm

I don't think cells have feelings...thier nucleus probably does not actually "think" about it's pain. :? But we shall never know(well, we might, but you know what I mean).
[email protected] 743 1337 Ic3

"I want to heal, I want to feel, what I thought was never real..... I wanna be something I've wanted all along.... Somewhere I belong.."

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue May 24, 2005 6:46 pm

Interesting point of view, Ken Ramos. But i remain at my opinion that they do not. Here is my argument: is emotion different from intelligence? YES. Will we be able to ever make a computer that is aware of his existance? Yes, by artificial intelligence. Will that computer have emotions? No, of course not. So awareness does not equal emotion. Are protists intelligent? That might be fun to discuss :D :D
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

dragonblood
Garter
Garter

Post by dragonblood » Wed May 25, 2005 8:38 pm

as i had said before unicelluler organisims dont have brains so how could they feel :?:

cm5687
Garter
Garter

Post by cm5687 » Thu May 26, 2005 8:01 am

what is an emotion, surely it is just a perception of something, one thing that a person may feel as love another may feel as anger. and surely the perception is caused by a stimulus, if a unicellular species is capable of receving a stimulus it most in some way analyse it, could the way in which it anaylses it be determined as its perception to the stimulus and therfore perhaps they can have an emotion

i admit i may be well off here, im just writing what i think, if i am wrong please do not hesitate to say
if something is hard to do, don't do it

Chris4
Coral
Coral

Post by Chris4 » Thu May 26, 2005 10:03 am

When cells receive a stimulus they have a programmed response. Whether its stress or whatever. Signal binds to receptor on cell surface and gets transmitted to the nucleus which responds by producing certain proteins and ultimately the cell responds in a certain way. Im generalising this part a lot here as its not important and i dont have time to explain in detail the signal transduction pathways and all that.
If one organism is aggressive or not then thats the nature of its genes and how it is programmed.
Now, if you observed one cell behaving differently to a typical stimulus then could you perceive that as an emotion?
Maybe cells can be unhappy and decide they dont want to grow or divide anymore so undergo apoptosis. Theres a thought. Depressed cells commiting suicide. :lol:

I think cells would have to have intelligence and language for emotions. Which requires a brain. So I think they dont have emotions like mammals or other animals have, but just programmed responses.

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Thu May 26, 2005 4:06 pm

Chris4 wrote:Maybe cells can be unhappy and decide they dont want to grow or divide anymore so undergo apoptosis. Theres a thought. Depressed cells commiting suicide. :lol:

So maybe we should try to find ways to force cancer cells to be 'depressed'... :lol:
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.