Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

osmosischild
Garter
Garter

Osmosis + chardakov! HELP ME PLEASE :]

Post by osmosischild » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:51 pm

Hello.

I really need help at the moment with my biology if thats okay. I accidentally missed the lesson due to having a form rep meeting, and my friends are really confused on osmosis too. I am really stuck on the Chardakovs method.

Its when it comes to looking at the densities of the methylene blue drop against the sucrose solution. I know that if the methylene blue drop is denser than the sucrose solution it will sink, if it is the same it will stay stationary, and if it is less then it will float. But I dont know why this is in terms of membranes, osmosis, and that kind of stuff which I need to know to complete this coursework.

I would really apprecaite it if anyone helped me, or got back to me. It would means loads :] Thankyou... Amanda

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:34 pm

If two solutions of different concentration are separated by a semi-permeable membrane which is permeable to to the smaller solvent molecules but not to the larger solute molecules, then the solvent will tend to diffuse across the membrane from the less concentrated to the more concentrated solution. This process is called osmosis.

Osmosis is of great importance in biological processes where the solvent is water. The transport of water and other molecules across biological membranes is essential to many processes in living organisms. The energy which drives the process is usually discussed in terms of osmotic pressure.

Log on to http://www.biologycorner.com/bio1/diffusion.html
http://sciweb.hfcc.edu/Biology/jacobs/b ... ff&Os.html
for more help.

Thanx!
Dip Jyoti