DNA computers

Everything on bioinformatics, the science of information technology as applied to biological research.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ryu
Garter
Garter

DNA computers

Post by Ryu » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:45 am

I understand that DNA computers will quite possibly be the next step, as the silicon ones have reached their upper limit. And progess is steadily being made. I was wondering if anyone had any more info on how exactly they are able to carry out their programs and just any other misc. info there might be laiing around. Please limit the Technical terms as i am just a layman who's intrested in these things.

lupine_nickt
Garter
Garter

Post by lupine_nickt » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:43 pm

To get a computer, you need logic gates (that is, you must be able to take two (or more) inputs, do something with them, and return an output). E.g. an AND logic gate, given 0 and 1, returns 0. An OR logic gate would return 1 with the same input. You then string lots and lots and lots of them together...

TBH, this is more of a physics than a biology thing, and Quantum(tm) computers > wetware, anyway.

xF,

...Nick

cyberpostdoc
Garter
Garter

Post by cyberpostdoc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:18 pm

I think you should get started from wiki page.

In general, the DNA computer is just a theory for now. It is more powerful because millions millions of DNA molecules can fit in just one drop of water and carry out "calculation", i.e., chemistry reaction, based on very strict and simple rules.

Hence, DNA computing solves complex computing problem physically, not from computational complexity theory point of view.