Does anyone know easy-to-use Software for figures?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

John-Boy
Garter
Garter

Does anyone know easy-to-use Software for figures?

Post by John-Boy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:16 pm

Hi there,

i need to make up a figure that shows a schematic view of a cell (or just a part of it), with cell membrane, some receptors, signaling pathways etc., like those you can see in publications and books.
There is no need for biologically correct ratios or forms, it should just look a bit nice, like Balls (or egg-shaped or other forms) with 3D Effects for peptides and the lipophilic membrane parts. You probably know what i am talking about...

The problem is, i dont know enough about Photoshop to make it up for myself, and i dont have enough time to read hundreds of pages in books and tutorials. So i need some software that is a bit more "intuitive"... ;-)

Does anyone of you know an easy-to-use (and at best open source or freeware) tool which has all these elements built in, so i would just need to pick those i like and paste them in correctly?
Or maybe someone has already made those elements in Photoshop and put in on the web for public (educational) use?

I would really appreciate help on this topic, even if it just is a link that helps a bit... :-)

Cheers
Henning

Update: As i continued looking for that stuff for myself, i just ran over this site:
http://www.biocarta.com/genes/index.asp
They got a pathway toolbox for Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand 7.0 - 9.0 there. Unfortunately, i just have Photoshop and it always rasterizes the .ai file files and flattens it on opening.
So it would be very nice if someone could reformat them in any Photoshop-usable format (without harming any copyrights, but i think since it is open source it should be OK?) and post it here...

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:10 am

have try GIMP?
as i know the lastest is version 2.0
or maybe corel.

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Photoshop is not very difficult to work with.
May I know why you need such application? I'm just curious