microbiology

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

monny
Garter
Garter

microbiology

Post by monny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:30 pm

Are bacteriophages-living or nonliving entities?can anyone answer this question?

Amrik
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Amrik » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:53 pm

bacteriophages are virus....the are not classified as living or non-living...well because..when they dont have a host (in this case Bacteria) they cannot reproduce which means they are non-living but when they are in a host (bacteria) they can reproduce and they do it at a very fast pace, in this case they are living....so you decide are they living or non-living?
- There Is A Solution For Every Problem We Humans Have

Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe

monny
Garter
Garter

Post by monny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:04 pm

well,Ive got a assignment on this question.how should i explain myself?characterestics of living things:-can reproduce,grow and develop,utilise energy,homeostasis,respond to environment and should be evolutionary adaptive.An organism is living when it fulfills all these features.Now,what do u think?

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:33 pm

I advise you to search the forum. You can find discussions about virus' being living or non-living.
A small hint for you. An organism can reproduce. Viruses can not do that themselves. They make their host do that.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.