Banding patterns on chromosomes

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Aerlinn
Death Adder
Death Adder

Banding patterns on chromosomes

Post by Aerlinn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:14 am

What do the banding patterns show? I thought they were supposed to indicate what genes were working in a particular cell (ie. light bands=working).
But I've read that banding patterns can be used to distinguish between chromosomes, and look for subtle changes in chromosome structure associated with genetic abnormalities. That's a little at odds which what I first thought (above) because if they showed which cells were working then they would be slightly different under different conditions inside/outside the cell or at different stages of the cell's lifespan, so how does that let you distinguish 'between chromosomes, and look for subtle changes in chromosome structure associated with genetic abnormalities'?
I hope that makes sense and that someone can help with this :)
The wonders of so-called life...

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:13 pm

banding patterns are important to distinguish different structures of chromosomes, not the gene activity. The staining used here has high preference for some region, AT-rich domains or GC-rich domains, where in general the AT-rich domains are highly active in gene expression (in vivo).For example you can distinguish between telocentric and arcocentric chromosomes.

Aerlinn
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Aerlinn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:54 am

Ok, so how I understand it is... the banding patterns don't indicate gene activity, but are used to distinguish chromosomes... but patterns can indicate that in some regions, there is high gene activity. Is that right?
The wonders of so-called life...

imraan47
Garter
Garter

Post by imraan47 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Aerlinn wrote:Ok, so how I understand it is... the banding patterns don't indicate gene activity, but are used to distinguish chromosomes... but patterns can indicate that in some regions, there is high gene activity. Is that right?

No. The reason that in some regions of the chromosome there is a darker appearance is because you have the dye binding to it because there are more genes or gene interactions. When you say gene activity, be careful of what you mean. By saying gene activity, i hope you dont mean the interaction of the genes to cause a particular expression (phenotype/genotype).