When and where does the energy act as limiting factor?

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

dkniu
Garter
Garter

When and where does the energy act as limiting factor?

Post by dkniu » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:46 am

I have heard that nitrogen and phosphorus are the limiting factors of some plants. Now I want to know WHEN and WHERE does the energy act as limiting factor? That is, at which developmental stage, which stage of life cycle, or in which organ?

Potential answers on plants, animals and even on microorganisms would be greatly appreciated.

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:45 am

A limiting nutrient is a chemical (nutrient) necessary for plant growth, but available in a concentration insufficient to support continued growth. Once the limiting nutrient is exhausted, plant growth ceases. In the case of algae in an aquatic ecosystem, populations stop expanding. If a limiting nutrient is introduced to a population, growth will be promoted until limitation by that or another nutrient or some other limiting factor occurs. It is usually the case—although not always—that in marine ecosystems it is nitrogen, and in fresh water ecosystems it is phosphorus, that are limiting. When neither is limiting, eutrophication can result.

Although nitrogen (N) is limiting to production in most ecosystems, especially estuaries and coastal ecosystems, phosphorus (P) can also be a limiting nutrient in some coastal systems and most freshwater systems (Carpenter et al., 1998). It has been shown, though, that carbon (C), silica (Si), and iron (Fe) may also be limiting nutrients in marine ecosystems (Sundareshwar et al., 2003).

For example, in an aquarium, some limiting factors can be the size and the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide and oxygen is important, especially for the marine organisms. Other factors, such as lighting and the photosynthetic algae are significant as well.

Thanx!
Dip Jyoti Chakraborty

dkniu
Garter
Garter

Post by dkniu » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:33 am

many thanks to dipjyoti for detailed reply on nutrient limiting factors.

I concern more on energy, could you please give some information on eneregy instead of the building blocks? For example, whether the longevity of pollen depends on the energy reserved in pollens?

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:40 am

Welcome! I will surely give your answer in a few days!