DNA's length

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

User avatar
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:00 am
Location: Farmville, VA
Contact:

DNA's length

Post by biostudent84 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:01 am

As my studies focus more on animal populatons rather than cellular biology, I am lacking in certain knowledge in the area of cell biology.

I've had three different professors (two PhD's and one high school professor) tell me three completely different things. Please tell me which of the following statements is true, or if none of them are true, what is the correct answer?

"DNA, when stretched out completely is over 1 meter long."--said by High School teacher
"DNA, when stretched out completely is over 30 meters long."--said by Geneticist PhD
"DNA, when stretched out completely is over 40 kilometers long."--said by Cell Biologist PhD

Argh! The inconsistencies!!!!!

User avatar
zami'87.
Coral
Coral
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: DNA's length

Post by zami'87. » Tue May 03, 2005 1:14 pm

biostudent84 wrote:As my studies focus more on animal populatons rather than cellular biology, I am lacking in certain knowledge in the area of cell biology.

I've had three different professors (two PhD's and one high school professor) tell me three completely different things. Please tell me which of the following statements is true, or if none of them are true, what is the correct answer?

"DNA, when stretched out completely is over 1 meter long."--said by High School teacher
"DNA, when stretched out completely is over 30 meters long."--said by Geneticist PhD
"DNA, when stretched out completely is over 40 kilometers long."--said by Cell Biologist PhD

Argh! The inconsistencies!!!!!

I heard that human cell contains 2m of DNA.(an introduction to genetic analysis CD rom :? Little to me.

User avatar
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:00 am
Location: Farmville, VA
Contact:

Post by biostudent84 » Tue May 03, 2005 1:24 pm

That's four differing estimates....anymore? =/

User avatar
Chris4
Coral
Coral
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: UK

Post by Chris4 » Tue May 03, 2005 2:03 pm

I heard it was 100 miles long :lol: only joking.
This is from Molecular Biology of the Cell (4th Edition) 2004. Alberts et al. Textbook.
"Each human cell contains approximately 2 meters od DNA if stretched end-to-end"

The differences may be in different cells/organisms. It looks like the high school teacher was closest, although if you had all the dna in all the cells of the body, it may be 40km. you just need to find the average number of cells in human and times it by 2 meters.

User avatar
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:00 am
Location: Farmville, VA
Contact:

Post by biostudent84 » Tue May 03, 2005 5:19 pm

My thanks to both of you. Always nice to learn and confirm facts like this before I use them in final essays =)

Kyle

User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)
Contact:

Post by MrMistery » Tue May 03, 2005 6:25 pm

I was also going to quote the Alberts book. 2m. Campbell book sais 1.8 meters if i recall correctly. Seems your high-school teacher was closest

By the way... did you mean human DNA? because the DNA of a bacteria is not that long 8) 8)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

User avatar
adam00f
Garter
Garter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:49 am
Location: Califorina

Post by adam00f » Wed May 11, 2005 3:39 am

my high school teacher said it was also 1.8 meters long but im late tho ahah
Summer schedual/ gotta cram all chemo info and i have water polo practice 3 tiomes a day!!!!!!!..frick i nned some sleep!!

woopwoop
Garter
Garter
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 3:08 pm

Post by woopwoop » Wed May 11, 2005 1:45 pm

MrMistery wrote:I was also going to quote the Alberts book. 2m. Campbell book sais 1.8 meters if i recall correctly. Seems your high-school teacher was closest

By the way... did you mean human DNA? because the DNA of a bacteria is not that long 8) 8)


and there's some DNA that's even longer!!

yeah I heard each cell about 2m all the genetic information is something like 2 mega sports fields or something. I really should remember first year stuff seeing as it is the basis for this year ... and last year .. hahaha

Waters2
Death Adder
Death Adder
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 2:36 pm

Post by Waters2 » Thu May 19, 2005 2:45 pm

So which is the actual length of DNA????? Make me confuse....

User avatar
biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:00 am
Location: Farmville, VA
Contact:

Post by biostudent84 » Thu May 19, 2005 3:37 pm

Waters2 wrote:So which is the actual length of DNA????? Make me confuse....


Seems to be 2 meters for a human =D

User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)
Contact:

Post by MrMistery » Thu May 19, 2005 6:59 pm

I'll try measuring it with my ruller to see if they are wright :D :D
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

User avatar
Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 2322
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:44 pm
Location: Turkey

Post by Poison » Thu May 19, 2005 7:39 pm

Good luck on your attempt, Andrew. I hope u will be successful... :lol:
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests