How do we die?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:01 pm

not always, but in general. name one situation where something evolved wasting energy. there aren't many.

strong promoter? what's that? sorry but i really don't understand... How can a gene be activated in the absence of activators?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:04 am

MrMistery wrote:not always, but in general. name one situation where something evolved wasting energy. there aren't many.

That means you belive there are...... :?
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 am

MrMistery wrote:strong promoter? what's that? sorry but i really don't understand... How can a gene be activated in the absence of activators?

It is promoter that bind with strong affinity the polymerase. When do genetic engenirien on the eukariotes there is no why than to use by sach promoters, but those promoters can be viral...
Evolution will arrange everything

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:54 am

could you rephrase, i don't understand. maybe it is a translation problem

@sachin
in biology there is no proving the no answer. There might be, but as the exception, not the rule.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:27 pm

MrMistery wrote:@sachin
in biology there is no proving the no answer. There might be, but as the exception, not the rule.

Ya......... you are right....... for biology there are always exceptions..... :?

Thats the rule......... :o
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:37 pm

MrMistery wrote:could you rephrase, i don't understand. maybe it is a translation problem

May be...
stronge promoter occupied by polymerase if it is at the low concentration - it is mean that most of the time polimerase bind to promoter, and so it can to translate the RNA. If promoter is weak polymerase is less time bind to the promoter and has less time for tranlating, so we have much RNA with strong promoter and less with weak.
Bindind of polymerase to promoter is like chemical reaction, and as promoter stronger reaction directed to the complex promotor+polymerase.
Evolution will arrange everything