Microscope Measurements

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

zmike
Garter
Garter

Microscope Measurements

Post by zmike » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:01 pm

I need some help with homework in Grade 12 Biology. I have finished almost all of it except for one question which I don't know how to answer.

Find the width and length of a cell under a microscope and calculate the magnification of your diagram (ie. how much bigger is your diagram than the real cell)?

Here are the specifications of my diagram:
-the diameter of the field of view is 1.8 mm (overall magnification of 100x)
-there is 14 cells across the diameter
-it appears to be a plant cell (has cell wall and hexagon shape)

thanks for your help

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:47 pm

Usually a microscope is equipped with a object micrometer. It is very easy to measure your cell dimension with that tool, because it is only "plug n play" ;)

zmike
Garter
Garter

Post by zmike » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:25 am

the problem is that I don't have a microscope at home and all the work was done at the lab in my school. Also the question requested for calculations (and I still haven't gotten my textbook yet [limited supply of textbooks] so I can't look it up). I've tried google but I've found nothing useful so far.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Plant Anatomy textbooks mention many kinds of cell (usually some basic cells) with approximate dimension/size. Try to get this for your reference :)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:58 pm

I am getting a cell size of 1 micrometer by dividing. but to answer the question, since the microscope magnifies the cell 100 times, then it is 100 times bigger than the real cell :-)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:59 pm

Here is another hint:

if there are 14 cells across the field and the diameter of the field is 1.8mm ... you have to figure out the legnth of each cell using division (1.8mm/14)

for whatever reason... i think the 100x is extra information so i'm thinking that you don't have to divide it by 100 afterwards.

.. but I could be wrong?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:29 pm

you do need to divide because by doing 1.8mm/14 you will get a number that indicated how big is the image of one cell on your microscopic field. But you need to divide it by 100 to find out the actual size of the cell, cause it is 100 times smaller than what you see(this may come as a shock, but we use a microscope cause it makes things bigger) :lol:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

zmike
Garter
Garter

Post by zmike » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks of your replies.

Well, according to the sheet I was only suppose to sketch one row of cells so how would I find the width?

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:01 am

I love to see smart young people here :) I wish you all the best! :D
I am slow dealing with numbers, I hate math :oops: